September 6, 2007

bubble gums no more



Aside from the site visits in Seattle, I was hoping to discover something interesting and unusual. My answer revealed itself, also in Google (they should pay me for the advertisement!) when I came across a fascinating picture of a wall filled with colorful bubble gum. I promised myself to go see it and take that same picture myself!



The location of that wall is actually really close to the major tourist traffic. However barely anyone came to see it, as we were one of the few tourists that came and goofed around for a while. Getting there involves taking a discreet staircase from the Pike Street Market down to some dark, sketchy alleyway. And that's all. It's just right there with barely anyone around, except for some local bartenders having a smoke in the alleyway or some delivery men slacking off the backdoor. The sketchy alleyway was even patrolled by mounted police while we were there.



I still remember the smell of the bubble gum wall. It doesn't smell bad, but in my mind it's just disgusting because all that smell had to have been mixed in countless human grinders, mixing with salivas of who-knows-who. The strawberries, bananas, cherries and sometimes a hint of smoke just gags me.



But it's a beautious wall. Colorful, cheerful, creative, and smells sickly sweet. Amy and I made each other do some stupid stuff close - but not too close - to the wall to keep this moment alive in our minds. Unfortunately, we did not have the tools to contribute our own saliva onto the monument. This should be able to put me off bubble gums for a while.

No comments: